Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to BBMI, Ink., where you'll always get a fresh dose of opinion mixed with a little humor and love.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Too Blessed to Stress

I watched “Minute to Win It” the other night.  It’s not one of those shows I tune into each week, but the kids and I were looking for something to watch together and this was the compromise.  I refuse to watch one more episode of something on Nick or Disney that involves a band of tweens who think they can sing. 

This episode of the game show featured two gal-pals from Kansas City, Kansas.  I was a bit put off by them at first.  Someone at the show thinks that all girls from Kansas must look and dress like Mary Ann from “Gilligan’s Island.”  Really?  Have you been to KCK lately?  And, after living in Kansas for seven years, I’ve met several women who grew up on farms and 1) Not one is named Mary Ann; b) they don’t wear short denim “Daisy Dukes” with gingham blouses and put their hair in pigtails; and 4) we all agree that The Professor should have his tenure revoked.  Dude, you can make a car out of cocoanuts but can’t get seven people off an island? 

I digress.  After I got over how they looked and how they were being “marketed” by the show’s producers, I found out these darlin’ young ‘uns were trying to make money to build orphanages in Third World countries.  I thought, “Hmm, some entertainment for the kids with a positive message thrown in to boot.  Maybe the boys will learn something here…”

But, as always, God had a lesson for me instead of the boys.  As the pressure built and the suspense heightened and the potential windfall for the orphanages got bigger, the girls got a phone call.  It was one of their dads, calling in to give them advice and be a voice of calm.

I don’t know what all he said, because I stopped listening and paying much attention after he said this:  “It doesn’t matter what happens next.  Just relax.  You’re too blessed to stress.”

Does God speak to you with fanfares and flourishes?  At that moment, it seemed to me that United States Marine Band had stopped by and was beating out “Fanfare for the Common Man” at ffff.  (That’s “really loud” for your non-musicians.)

Too blessed to stress. 

Finally, I get it.  When I’m tied up in knots about something trivial or major, I need to be reminded that I am blessed.  When I’m facing a fight that needs to be solved in a minute to win it, I need to remember:  Don’t stress, you’re blessed.

Apostle Paul, I get it:  Therefore we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”  (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)

Who knew God could use a game show with a couple of Mary Ann-impersonators to change me.  Who knew?  He knew.

2 comments: